It is a very overwhelming feeling when we see our kids growing and doing well in their education and extracurricular activities. Kids usually make a lot of mess while playing and exploring different activities and toys. During this process of playing and exploring, they do get bored quite often. In this case you don’t need to worry because boredom is really good for their mental growth and intelligence and this article will covers the “benefits of boredom” first and then some really useful ideas for your kids about ” what to do when your are bored at home?”
Boredom is an emotional/mental state in which we are left with nothing to do at all and we lack interest in everything around us. Growing kids usually gets bored very quickly and the most interesting thing is that it is really good for their mental and imaginative growth along with the boost in their intelligence and creativity. So, if your child gets bore very often, then don’t worry, he/she might come up with some really creative and intelligent ideas.
BENEFITS OF BOREDOM
- Creativity boots our child’s imagination power and creativity. When our kids get bored with everything around them, they started thinking in mental quiet within themselves and that is where all the imaginations and creativity starts from and then they started doing something different in their own way.
- Boredom helps our little kids to learn about making relationships and friendship. If we give enough time to our child when they are bored and dont distract them, this will helps them collaborate with others, hence, helping them to learn interpersonal skills as well along with good friendship with siblings and other kids around them.
- Boredom teaches our child about making friends and about interpersonal skills. This will lead to a huge boost on communication skills, vocabulary building and confidence.
- Boredom develops the sense of surrounding and belonging in your child. If a child is bust with one activity and not getting bored, then he/she doesn’t focus on what is happening around him/her. Boredom helps them to learn and and enjoy what is happening around them and how to help and spend a good time with the things which doesn’t seems to be of their interest. This is where the creative and new ideas emerges from.
- Boredom teaches our child to live in the situation where they are not comfortable, such situations helps our child in learning about making thing of their interest and how to solve the problem of their boredom by trying different activities and games. This habit will benefit them throughout their lives and they will learn the problem solving skills in a far better way.
PARENTING TIPS-WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARE BORED AT HOME
- Reduce screen time as much as possible as it entertains your child all the time which is not good for their mental and physical health and it also cause sleep deprivation in our kids and in adults as well.
- Encourage your child in different craft activities and let them explore what they wanted to, this will help them in development of their imagination, creativity, intelligence and confidence.
- Encourage then to play with simple learning tools and toys, This will help them learn everything they want along with a lot of entertainment and play. Spending a lot of time on High-tech toys are not always good for your child’s intelligence and learning.
- Encourage you child to do more physical activities like outdoor plays, swimming, cycling and running and also encourage them in doing household chores, believe me kids love mimicking and they will love helping you in your work. During this ask them ow to do different chores, they might come up with a better way or a better solution than us.
- Let you child make mess, try different crafts of their choice, kids learn a lot while doing crafts of their choice and also by making mess.
- Ask you child to make a boredom bag or boredom box, let them collect the scrap things in it like pop sickle sticks, old/broken ruler, old pencils, colors, paper, tape, scissors, cardboard pieces and papers, glitter, toilet paper rolls and each and everything they love to add in it. When they get bored, ask them to take that box out and try to figure our, what they could make out of these scrap things. This is one of the best thing to do in order to boost the thinking, imagination and creativity in our child.
So lovely parents, these are some ideas about our kids and their boredom. Please share your ideas and experiences as well. I would love to read all of your experiences as well.