Technology has taken over almost everything in our life. We use mobile phones as an organizer, reminder, to keep in touch with friends and family, to search for helpful tips and recipes and a lot more. All these uses are really good, but if we use it in a balanced way, not all the time, otherwise, these devices will harm our mental and physical health and personal life as well. In this article we will be discussing about what causes sleep deprivation, one of the most leading cause of which is using electronic devices throughout the day especially before bed.
HOW USING OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES BEFORE BED CAUSES SLEEP DEPRIVATION?
Before jumping onto the details, let’s see how electronic devices causes sleep deprivation. Our Brain have a pea size tiny gland called Pineal Gland which releases Melatonin hormone. This hormone is responsible for our Circadian Rhythm (sleep & wake cycles) and help us in falling asleep. Normally Pineal glands form Melatonin at night.
Using of electronic devices on bed before sleeping suppresses the production of Melatonin Hormone which causes sleep deprivation. Not only this, radiations that emerge from these devices are so harmful and damage human tissues. It harms our mental and physical health very badly.
HOW SLEEP DEPRIVATION AFFECTS OUR MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH?
- DEPRESSION: Sleep is very necessary to keep our mind and body in a proper functioning order in a calm and relaxed way. Sleep deprived people cannot do anything properly as they get agitated, irritated and depressed very quickly because of restlessness and lack of sleep.So, using electronic devices cause sleep deprivation which then cause depression. This depression could me the most leading cause of fights in families, bad relationships with partner or friends or colleagues.
- BAD MEMORY: Proper sleep helps our brain and nerve cells to remember all the things we have learned and store these learnings into our memory. So, sleep deprived person have bad memory as well….
- IMPAIRED MENTAL ABILITIES: A sleepless and tired brain is not at all able to sort out different tasks, sleep deprived person thinks negatively most of the times. Not able to do and sort things properly even makes the person more angry. If this condition persists and sleeplessness becomes a chronic problem, then the person might get suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, depression, anxieties and other metal issues.
- WEAK IMMUNE SYSTEM: Sleep deprivation weakens our immune system. When we sleep, our body produces Cytokines which is responsible for fighting against bacterias and viruses that make us ill. Hence, lack of sleep makes us more prone to illnesses and infections.
- OBESITY: Sleep deprivation also causes Obesity, let’s have a look how it happens, our body releases two hormones Leptin and Ghrelin. Leptine’s responsibility is to inform our brain that we have eaten enough and now we should stop eating. Sleep deprivation suppresses the formation of this hormone and a sleep deprives person doesn’t feel full while eating and eat a lot, sleeplessness also increase the formation of Ghrelin(hunger stimulating hormone). By combining all these factors, there are very high chances for a person to get obese.
- GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT: Sleep deprivation also causes a decrease in Growth Hormone released by pituitary glands. This growth hormone repairs and build up body tissues and muscle mass, hence helps in proper growth and development.
So, if we want to have a proper and sound sleep, then avoid using electronic devices and tablets for about 1 hr to 30 minutes atleast, before going to bed and try to keep these devices at good distance from you when you sleep. Mobile phones and tablets just beside our beds are so so harmful for us and for our kids.
CONCLUSION: If we have a look on all 6 points I have mentioned, Bad moods+Bad memory+Impaired mental abilities+Weak immune system+Obesity+Improper growth with less growth hormones, are these the presents and gifts that we are giving to our little bundle on joys every single day? Please think and share your point of views on this issue. But make a promise now, minimize the use of electronic devices all the time, especially at night and live a healthy and happy life with family and have fun…:)