When we talk about Calcium, Vitamin D and Kids, the most important things that clicks in our mind are Strong Bones. Well, we can get calcium from dairy products and many other food items but Vitamin D’s main source is sunlight and we are going to discuss all about Vitamin D, health and growth of our kids.
Vitamin D is very important nutrient, it helps the calcium absorption in our body, hence helping in maintaining good bone health.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF VITAMIN D
- Vitamin D helps in absorption of calcium in our bones. By proper calcium absorption,our bones get stronger, so, it is a super nutrient for growing kids too. As our bones get stronger, it lowers the chances of having osteoporosis, rickets, fractures and other bone problems.
- Lowers the risk of Cold, flu and influenza, especially in winters.
- Increase our immunity.
- Helps our babies,toddlers and kids in growing taller with good health, being physically active and strong.
- Helps us in lowering the chances of having diabetes.
- Best food for people of every age group, from newborn babies to teenagers, pregnant woman to menopausal women, every one need Vitamin D for maintenance of good health.
- It also helps us fight against different heart problems and also against cancer.
SOURCE OF VITAMIN D:
- Fatty fish like salmon and tune
- Fortified food like orange juice, bread and milk
- Fish oil and cod liver oils.
HOW TO GET VITAMIN D FROM SUNLIGHT?
Sun exposure on regular basis with arm legs and face exposed in the sun, especially from 9 Am to 14:00-15:00. Dark skin need more time to be in the sun to get Vitamin D than white skin.
HOW MUCH VITAMIN D DO WE NEED?
- Babies from 0 to 12 months need 400 IU (10 mcg).
- Kids from 1 to 18 yrs onwards up till 70 years of age need 600 IU (15 mcg).
SYMPTOMS OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY
- Recurrent illnesses and infections.
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Recurrent pain in bones
- Anxiety and depression
- Body and muscle pain
- Hair loss
- Back Pain
WHEN TO TAKE YOUR CHILD TO A DOCTOR?
If your child complains about pain in bones or any sort of pain in body especially back and legs, then you should consult a doctor so that your child can get his/her blood tests done to check blood Vitamin D levels and other dietary advises and preventive measures.
- Encourage your child to eat healthy especially fortified food as I have mentioned above along with dairy products.
- Go out with your kids for a walk or a trip to the nearest park, play and enjoy and have fun in sun light.
- Make sure your child takes Vitamin D supplements after taking doctor’s advice.
- Don’t let your child spend a lot of time using electronic tablets and mobiles sitting at one place.
- Talk to them about health and diet and everything related to our body and good health by showing them videos, books with pictorial demonstrations and cartoons and giving them knowledge by playing pretend play of mummy and child or patient and doctor.
- Tell them in their own childish way that if they want to grow healthy and taller, then how Vitamin D and Calcium is important for them, kids always love to learn via different plays in a way full of fun and giggles. Here, I am sharing a Cartoon Video Demonstration for kids to watch and discuss with mummy and daddy.<