Speech and language delay is a very common problem among kids and becomes more prominent as they start going to preschool and big schools. In this condition, kids lack the ability to utter works and understand the meaning behind those words. Such kids so feel shy to speak and it could be frustrating for them because they cannot express themselves.
In my today’s article I am going to share some of the best learning activities for children with Speech & Language Delay, these activities are so so simple and we can do these with our kids in a playful and enjoyable way at home and these are proved activities that work in boosting children’s speech and language. So, Let’s have a look on the following activities.
TALKING TIME (TALK TO YOUR CHILD)
When you start this activity, don’t let your child to speak during talk. Here you are the one who will speak only and your kid will listen to you.
- When you start talking to your child it has a great impact on your child’s response. Be gentle and use the adequate volume to start talking with your child, and connect your eyes to make sure he/she is focusing on your words and listening to you. Call his/her name with all your love and start talking on his/her favourite topic like toys, story, character, weather etc.
- Go for shopping and take him/her along and describe the things they are watching and you are buying. Get their help in taking things out of the bag and call the name of each item and make sure he/she understands the name; you can ask them to recall the name you just told.
- Take their help in household chores like at cooking time, you can ask them to join in kitchen and explain them what are you making and take their help as well. Talk about the steps you are using in cooking meal, show them the vegetables and let them hold in hands and feel then tell name of the vegetables and ask them if they got memorized, repeat the vegetable’s name and ask them to pass you the vegetable you are looking to cut.
- Whenever go out with your kids either for a walk, school, shopping or friend’s place. Keep talking all the way through what you can see. You can talk about the road signs, trees, weather, birds, etc.
- Beautiful parents, kids don’t learn by themselves it is our responsibility to entertain them and educate them about new things. Because the more we talk about new things the better they learn and memorize which later help them in their school life.
SYLLABLE CLAPPING GAME:
- In this activity say the words and clap out the times it has syllable. Like if you say butter – bu-tter ( 2 claps) because it has 2 syllable. Similarly, callout the names of different objects, toys, and your kid’s favourite books and clap out its syllables.
- You can also put those items, objects and things on their specific place and tell your kids that the place is belong to the objects.
- When you are out with your kids, point out the things like “tree” and clap its syllable which is only one, rainy – rai-ny- (2 claps) and go on.
- You can extend this activity according the situation and place. There is no specific method or time to arrange this activity so; when you feel your kid is responding to you start playing this clapping game.
- When you are playing with your kids like if you are playing with blocks and you are clapping its colour name like orange- o-range( 2 claps), purple – pur-ple- (2 claps), blue ( 1 clap). Now it’s time to placing the blocks back to the belonging place.
- If you are placing the grocery items, ask your child to place the item on the exact place. It doesn’t only help in memorizing the object’s name but also help in organizing the things.
So far you parents were active in above activities now it’s time to let your child speak. You both are playing with blocks and you named the block pink (1 clap), now ask your child the block’s colour name. Wao! Wonderful it’s pink ( 1 clap), do you like pink colour? Do you have any dress in pink colour? Relate the colour names with other objects of the house and help him/her to remember if they got anything else and let them call their name.
In a park or when playing outside home, do ask about different objects you have already told him/her many times to make sure if he/she has got memorize the name, purpose or whatever you have discussed about.
CLAPPING GAME WITH KIDS:
Teach them the names of items, objects and places and clap it out along with your kids. First you call the name clap its syllable and ask him/her to clap along with you. Play this activity as much as you kid enjoy.
Wonderful parents Children with Speech and language delay need some special attention. Because this problem occurs in very early age, therefore, it creates problem in their learning and academic performances.
The activities I described above help those kids to learn at home before joining school and can be enjoyed during their preschool and school days as, all these activities will help them to improve their language and communication skills and will increase their vocabulary which can later help them in their school education by building confidence.
Therefore, the children who learn more words in everyday life at home are tend to do well in school as compare to those whose experience of learning new words is limited. So, I hope wonderful parents you would find this article very helpful and useful and would use these activities to cope with this problem.
Here are useful videos for boosting speech and language in a child.