All of us came into this world with five senses to observe and feel the world around us. These senses are Hearing, Touch, Smell, Vision and Taste. We can start doing activities that stimulates our baby’s senses from the very day we brought her/him to our home from the hospital after giving birth. Though our babies inside our womb, before birth, can hear and recognize our voice, have taste buds developed and can open and close their eyes and can notice the light coming from outside world into the mum’s womb, but soon after birth, our beautiful babies start using their five senses more actively to explore and feel the new outside world around them. It is very important for us to stimulate their five senses through simple learning with toys and activities at home because the good and healthy development of motor and cognitive skills, learning process, academic and extracurricular activities and success, play and fun and everything we do in our life are based on these five senses.
So, isn’t it a good idea to share with all of you wonderful mums, some simple baby sensory development and learning with toys at home in a very simple and easy way. So, Mums, let’s see, what are the top tips for stimulation of our baby’s senses.
- TALKING: Talking, talking and talking is really very important for our babies. As our babies recognize our voice since they were in our womb and love to hear our voice again and again. A mother’s voice is the most understandable and lovely voice for the baby. So, Mums, talk a lot with your beautiful bundle of joy. Are your wondering about what to talk with your baby, as he/she is too tiny and can’t understand and talk back to you. Well, babies are never to young to start talking activities. Talking with babies can be done in the following simple ways…Talk to them about everyday activities like, when u hold your baby just say, now mummy is going to hold her beautiful baby, or mummy is going to rock or bath or play with you my baby or take her name.Another way to talk to your baby is to read colourful books and stories to them. Make different face expressions and sounds. As your baby grows up and started mimicking you in face expressions and tell you about her favourite sounds through her beautiful smiles and by making happy sounds, then repeat those face expressions and sounds again and again.When your baby is playing and lying, just say, oh wow what a beautiful rattle or what a beautiful toy, let’s play with it or let’s play with this balloon or ball or anything related to regular life routine.
- PLAY MAT & GYM: Play mat and Play gym are so wonderful and magical as far as baby’s sensory development is concerned, as these toys have different colourful textures and toys handing and moving. Lie your baby on a play mat and let him/her explore the surrounding. As babies gets older like, about 3 months or so, they start to kick harder and try to hold their favourite toy hanging on the gym or they try to hold their favourite toy in front of them. Well, not everyone can afford to buy expensive play mats and gym, to be honest it is useless to buy expensive toys. Simplest play gym can be bought for £10 and play mate as well for the same price if you don’t bother about brand, as babies only enjoy vibrant colours and toys. They don’t have any concept of branding and pricing to be honest.
- BABY MIRROR: One of the best thing that stimulates your baby’s sense of vision is Mirror. Baby at this stage see black and white and blurred. Their vision become 6/6 when they reach the age of about 8-10 months. Along with vibrant coloured toys, babies also love to see in mirror. So, attach an unbreakable baby mirror along side of his/her cot, crib or play gym and introduce their adorable face to them. As babies see their face and things around them in the mirror, this will boost their sense of vision along with enjoyment, play and giggles.
- MUSIC & RHYMES: Babies love soft music, especially the music that they recognize when mum used to play during their pregnancy. Babies love hearing rhymes and repetitive sounds and words especially in mummy’s voice. No matter how bad you think your voice is or how bad you sing, like me😊…but for our babies, our voice is the best voice and they love listening rhymes when we sing to them. Play rhymes on YouTube or on a player and sing along with it with different gestures, expressions and sounds. Clap with them, hold their hands and clap, laugh and giggle during rhymes. This simple activity will create a beautiful loving bond between you and your beautiful bundle of joy and will boost his/her sense of touch, sense of hearing, and it’s not far when he/she start talking back to you and mimic the words, sounds and face expressions you use in front of him/her. Simple rattles and musical toys also plays an important role in boosting baby’s sense of hearing and babies do love playing with simple musical instruments like piano, xylophone or simple musical rattle along with rhymes. The xylophone my son enjoyed a lot costs only £3…😊. See, babies only love colours, music and sound, unlike most of adults, they don’t bother at all about costs and prices…
- TUMMY TIME: It is very important for our babies to be active and healthy. Tummy time is one of the best activity to start with. New-born babies might not feel comfortable while tummy time as they don’t have control over their limbs and muscles. My babies started to enjoy tummy time when they were 7-8 weeks old. It’s totally up to their choice. Tummy time is a good way for our babies to explore their surrounding while lying on the floor. Best tools and toys for baby’s tummy time are play mat and colourful soft balls and rattles that your baby likes. As our babies reach the age of 3 months, they started to try to reach and hold their favourite toy but couldn’t at this age, but they will, very soon as they reach they age of 6 months. Tummy time gives our beautiful babies to explore a wider area, with vibrant colours and textures by touching and holding. So, tummy time boost your child’s sensory development as well and motor development.While babies, see, touch and explore different things and textures during tummy time, the best things that boost the sense of touch are soft felt toys like balls, cubes and books with different textures on each page. Apart from this, a relaxing massage and bath is also one of the best thing to boost baby’s sense of touch and makes baby feel relax with mums touch and massage with a lot of love and care.
So, Wonderful mums, I hope you find this article beneficial for your baby’s sensory development. The top five points mentioned above helps your child in boosting all five senses which will help them in development of good motor and cognitive skills as well, and a healthier life ahead. These five points seems very very simple but believe me, these are the simple basic things which are the building blocks of our beautiful child’s learning, development, growth and health, and yes, along with all mummy’s love, cuddles, and cares with healthy and yummy food as soon your little one’s will reach the weaning age. I know and relate to all of you, a mother’s job is very demanding and need a lot of hard work, but it pays off when we see our adorable bundle of laughing and giggling and growing into tiny toddlers and then school going kids. Isn’t it a magical journey:)