As Parents, we always want to see our kids as confident and healthy individuals. Many people think that academic learning and books can make our kids intelligent and learned, and yes, books are one of the best medium to gain knowledge but play and problem-solving tasks and toys are equally important along with physical activity as well. So, the best thing we could do as parents, is to help our kids in their development and growth in a balanced way. In this Article, I am sharing benefits of one of the best medium to boost our child intelligence and mental health and i.e., Jigsaw puzzles for kids. I find jigsaw puzzles very helpful in order to boost my 4-year-old daughter’s confidence and communication skills, as she has been playing with jigsaws since she was 1 year old.
Tips to boost creativity and thinking power in our children: Once our children have solved the puzzle, we can ask them to make a story out of it or a rhyme by using some rhyming words. We can help them by giving clues about words and can participate with them to make it more fun. Like if the puzzle is about a farm, or jungle, sea or space or about something else, a story or rhyme can me made out of this. we can also ask them about which story, rhyme or any everyday situation they can relate to that puzzle and why?
Benefits: This activity will help us in boosting our child’s intelligence, confidence, creativity, thinking process, vocabulary and communication skills.
So, let’s discuss the benefits of jigsaw puzzles and see how these puzzles can boost our child’s mental health and intelligence…
- Human Brain has two hemispheres, Right and Left. Right brain is responsible for emotions and to perform different tasks, whereas, Left side of brain thinks logically. While playing with jigsaw puzzles, both sides of brain are used and this will boost our child’s intelligence and thinking power.
- Jigsaw puzzles teach child about basic concepts of things around him/her like different colours, shapes, fractions and how two, three or more parts can be joined to make one complete picture.
- Our child learns Prioritizing and Pacing from jigsaw puzzles.
- Helps our child in Focus and memory recall.
- Build confidence and social skills while playing together with other kids. Kids also learn about staying calm while taking turns or if solving a puzzle together, then the ability to discuss and solve the puzzle accordingly with other fellows.
- Jigsaw puzzles are a great booster for motor and cognitive skills.
- Jigsaw puzzles help our child in learning about problem solving by thinking and at the same time staying calm if they find anything difficult.
- Helps our little ones in learning and knowing the world around them by solving the puzzles about shapes, colours, animals, plants, underwater world, space or other sceneries.
- Boost our child’s math and phonic skills.
- Teaches our child about creativity and boost their vocabulary as well.
- Though electronic devices also offer jigsaw puzzle games but wooden, plastic or cardboard ones are the best to play with. When the kids are busy in solving these puzzles, they stay away from harmful effects of screen.
- These puzzles help our child in building confidence and the ability to cope with difficult tasks. Though the puzzles our babies play with are simple for us, but for them these are very difficult to solve. That’s how our kids learn coping with difficult tasks and situations.
These are some benefits of jigsaw puzzles for kids. All super mums and dads are more than welcome to share their experiences and ideas about jigsaw puzzles for kids in comment section. The most important point to keep in mind is to keep a balanced approach, i.e., a good balance in books, puzzles and other toys along with a lot of physical activities, as, all these things work side by side in order to boost our child’s development, growth, knowledge and intelligence.