Today, we are going to discuss about a very common problem among many people especially women during and after pregnancy and this problem is “Sciatic Nerve Pain” which is a pain in lower back which goes all the way down to the foot. If you are suffering from sciatic nerve pain and thinking about “how to relieve sciatic nerve pain?”, then you will find this article really helpful.
WHAT IS SCIATIC NERVE?
Sciatic nerve emerges from the lower part of spinal cord from both aides and runs all the way down to our thighs and from there all the way down to the foot. It supplies our lower limb and we feel sensations because of this nerve. This is the Largest nerve in our body.
MOST COMMON CAUSES OF SCIATIC NERVE PAIN (SCIATICA):
Sciatic nerve pain can happen due Slipped disc, herniated disc, any problem with vertebral column like fracture or injury or even arthritis. Could also caused during fights if a person got punched in that are or by accident and injury. Most common cause of this pain is also pregnancy. Well all the reasons mentioned above causes pressure on the nerve, because of this pressure the nerve got compressed and inflamed, and that’s what causes the pain.
SIGN & SYMPTOMS:
- Pain in buttock, hip, thigh and all the way down to the foot.
- Weakness in hip and lower limb.
- Tingling sensation.
- Worst pain when sitting for a very long time or in such a position which puts pressure on Spine.
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR: If you think that you are having sciatic nerve pain which doesn’t get better at all then you must see a doctor so that he can prescribe you proper pain killer or steroids for relief and examine you for further actions like referring you to physiotherapy or suggesting some exercises.
HOW TO RELIEVE SCIATIC NERVE PAIN:
Apart from doctor’s advises and treatments, it is also very crucial to follow the care regimen at home in order to ease the inflammation of sciatic nerve. There care regimen works like wonder in easing the pain. So, let’s have a look of care regimen for sciatic nerve pain.
- Massage: Relaxes the muscles and ease the pressure on the nerve, increases the blood flow on that area and heals the inflammation. You can Massage with any prescribed gel from your doctor, or any relaxing oil like olive oil. For best results do it after warming the oil a little bit.
- Warm Bath: Have a warm bath with relaxing essential oi of your choice also relaxes your muscles and body tensions.
- Hot or Cold Compresses: Cold compresses lowers the swelling around the inflamed area and numbs the pain while hot compress relaxes the tension and stiffness of the muscles around the nerve. You can use hot steamed towel on the pain area. Best advises it to consult a doctor before starting hot or cold compresses so that he can guide you about the best option for you.
- Regular walk and exercise
- Proper and comfortable mattress: Use proper mattress for sleeping, it should be neither too soft nor too hard.
- Cushion Support: Put pillow or cushion between your legs if sleeping on your side, if your want to sleep on your back then raise you feet by putting pillow or cushion underneath along with a soft cushion under the leg and buttock. This way, pressure eon the nerve eases and hence reduces the pain.
- Physio therapy
- Drink Chamomile or Valerian Tea.
- Proper Lifting Techniques: Follow proper lifting techniques while lifting your baby or anything with back straight and work and do everything in the same manner with straight back. https://kiddieversity.com/whats-the-cause-of-back-pain/
- Avoid Making Sudden Movements: Avoid making movements all of a sudden, give your back a little time while sitting from lying position or whole standing from sitting position or do a slow move while changing any position.
- Yoga also helps a lot in healing pains but should be done under expert’s supervision.
- Acupuncture helps a lot as well but should be dome after consulting your health experts.
SO, mums and dads, these are some really helpful and simplest ways to ease sciatic nerve pain. I hope you all will find it helpful too. For knowing more about healing this problem, please watch the following video demonstration.