Spring has just started and we all are enjoying our spring holidays with kids. During these holidays, apart from enjoyment, there is also something which is “A Must” to do and that is “Spring Cleaning”. Cleaning home with kids is a never ending job. So, what are the easy ways to make this cleaning process a fun and learning for our little kiddies. Here I am sharing an easy spring cleaning list for busy parents with simple tips about involving kids in this process. SO, let’s have a look on this list…:)
- CLOTHES SORTING: First of all take your children’s clothes our and see if they grow taller. If you find some clothes that are smaller now and your kids cannot wear them anymore, put those clothes in a separate bag or box. Teach your kids once or twice if they are old enough to compare sizes and let them separate their smaller sized clothes by themselves. This will give you a little hand in cleaning process. All you need to do is to help them if they need. Do the same with jackets and shoes also.
- TOY SORTING: Ask your kid if they don’t need any toys they already have or if they grow older for the toys. Then separate the toys along with the involvement of your kids and ask them to arrange the toys they don’t need anymore in a box.
- TEACH THEM ABOUT CHARITY: Once you have completed the jobs mentioned above, then talk to your kids about giving these items to a charity so that, other kids can use these pre-loved things. Don’t forget to tell them about giving charity the new items and some money as well and not only pre-loved things. This is the best time to educate them about charity and donation from their pocket money also, even £1 will be great. So, we teach our kids about charity at the same time while doing our cleaning and sorting jobs.
- HOME CLEANING: Give your kids their own cleaning spray bottle with water with a couple of essential oil drops or just water will do…:) Keep the professional cleaning spray bottles with you. Give your kids a cleaning cloth, their own toy broom and vacuum cleaner and mop. Kids love mimicking elders and they will love helping you with the cleaning process. Give them the job to clean the simple things where they can easily reach. You will be amazed to see how much they enjoy this dusting, cleaning and tiding up process.
- GARDEN CLEANING: Garden Cleaning is a time consuming and difficult job. Involve your kids in this cleaning process by giving the their toy garden supplies or give them gloves and a bag to pick leaves or any other easy job that they love to do. Teach them about importance of gardening during this cleaning process.
TIPS FOR PARENTS:
- Teach them about giving things to needies. Kids learn more when they see things happening practically and this spring cleaning period is the best time to learn for them. Helping others and charity are the most important things to teach our kids as a part of effective parenting.
- During this cleaning process, talk to them about teamwork and working and helping together as a family.
- Don’t try to sort everything in one day. Infact, do things bit by bit.
- As we all have some sort of ways to reward our kids when they do something good. Well, During spring cleaning, increase the reward points. Normally if they get one reward point for one good thing, then increase it to double i.e., 2 reward point for one good work they do, this will even encourage them more. Giving kids reward after every good work is not recommended. What is best is to let them collect some reward points to get one thing they want like 10, 15 or 20 points but appreciation is always a must.
- Make cleaning process a game, like before taking out clothes or toys from a drawer, play a guessing game like every one have to guess how many toys or things are there in a drawer to clean. Then take them out and count. Whoever is correct and does the job good will get one more extra reward point for guessing correctly. These things can be done while working together and doesn’t even take a minute extra.
- Once all the cleaning is done, let your kids count their own reward points. Take them out to the market and let them choose the thing they want according to their points. Have a meal together in your favorite restaurant or just go to the park, relax and play together. This will be a good way to treat your self and kids after a hard work of cleaning the house.
- Educate them about charity bags, recycling item, garden stuff like grass and bushes and also the concept of putting all these things in separate bags and containers to dispose off.
- Garden cleaning involves a lot of work like cleaning thorny bushes and leaves and sticks. If your child is too young to participate then give them some crayons, markers and paper and ask them to draw what they are observing around them. Or give them some leaves and sticks with glue to make a craft while mum and dad are busy cleaning the garden. This will keep them busy as well. Always keep their craft on display like on the table or on the wall and appreciate their effort. Encouragement, appreciation and love are the main three things our child needs from us to be happy, not expensive toys and things. Along with this love and positive parenting, it is always a must to keep kids involved in whatever we do in our everyday life. This way, they will learn the most…:)
TELL ME AND I FORGET, TEACH ME AND I REMEMBER, INVOLVE ME AND I LEARN.
While working and cleaning together, the best idea is to sing or play rhymes about cleaning. This is an amazing tip from my own experience as a mum of two kids Kija and Abraham. My kids love these rhymes about cleaning 🙂