As our little bundle of joy approaches the age of 4-6 months, this is the time when we all started to plan about introducing solid food in order to fulfill their dietary requirements. Introducing solid food t babies is called Weaning which can be done in a normal conventional method and by letting babies feed themselves and i.e., baby lead weaning.
This article is all about baby led weaning guidelines. We Always take care of our diet and nutrition and always provide our growing kids with best and nutritious food as well but what about healthy eating for babies who are heading towards toddler-hood?
Baby Led Weaning simply means allowing your child feed themselves from the very start of weaning. At around the age of six months, your baby is capable to feed himself to some extent and his body needs more calories which cannot be completely fulfilled by milk only.
The actual difference between baby led weaning and the traditional weaning is in the order in which babies learn to eat. Like if we feed them a puree they learn swallowing first and then chewing afterward when they start having little lumps.
In baby led weaning, chewing come first followed by swallowing. Baby led weaning means feeding babies at the same time let them do what they do as they learn and as parents resist the desire to eat in knots on what they eat, who wants food they thought they would want and if they were thrown into next curtain.
The most important thing is … everything is a mess but still fun…If you are looking forward to starting baby led weaning, following are some really helpful tips which you will find much easier and effective…
- Have some research on the internet to get some useful information from blogs, especially BLW Babies video clips and note down all tips and techniques from other parents.
- There are a lot of brands selling baby food which is healthy as well, but you can prepare it at home very easily as well. The only thing you have to keep in mind is not to add salt or sugar in it.
- It should be pure mashed/pureed vegetable meat or fruit. As first food most people give to their babies are steamed carrots, boiled/baked and mashed potatoes, sweet potato, butternut squash, courgette and broccoli, fruit purees like apple, banana, avocado, baby rice, and cereals mango or papaya etc and purees mixed with boneless chicken or fish in finely blended form, tiny pieces of pasta and rice should also be included.
- Put the food on their highchair tray or on a table, stay calm and remember that everything including weaning is also a learning experience for your little one and it doesn’t matter if they protest, shout, cry or make a lot of mess.
- As a parent, you must have every equipment you need to feed your baby but, there are a lot baby led weaning accessories in the market like an easy-to-clean baby seat, highchair with detachable trays for proper cleaning afterward, pelican bibs and also a floor splash mat under the highchair are the things to consider.
- You might have to struggle because the more you work hard into making something special and nutritious for the baby, the less are the chances they will like or eat it. Give them what you’re having. If they don’t like it, it’s fine, they’re getting the calories they need for their growth from milk you are giving them.
- The best idea is to eat together as a family at least once a day. Babies eat more if they see others eating with them and they also learn manners as well. Keep smiling, keep enjoying, keep paying attention.
- Placing a wipe clean cloth under the high chair is a good idea if you have carpet and some people find a wrinkle knife, it is useful to eat extra tasteless.
- Don’t struggle too much to arrange three meal times per day, it might take some time to work up on that, so keep calm and don’t rush. Whatever’s easier and enjoyable for you is the right and better way to do it.
- And don’t put a lot of food on the highchair tray at the same time, just a piece or two will stop them feeling overwhelmed, so just put food one by one.
- Hunger might be irritating for the babies when they’re still getting used to gripping things. The best way to organize your baby weaning is to time it in between milk.
- Never feed your baby by yourself, let them have it by themselves, so that they can control it as it moves backward and let them take their time as they are just learning how to eat. So, stay calm and relax and just keep a close eye on them while feeding.
As a parent,if you want to capture all these messy but beautiful memories, get your camera ready to take some of your baby’s first adorable smiles with food all over their face, its messy for sure but the most precious memories. Weaning seems very difficult but it’s for a very short time. Your baby will grow up very soon. So, capture all these beautiful memories and enjoy it…