Now a days it is cold weather everywhere. Many of us must be worries about skin care of our kids, especially newborn kids as during winter skin becomes dry and sometimes flaky and itchy. Skin care of baby and toddler could be tricky and might needs a lot of attention and care because at this stage our little ones are so young to understand about having an ointment massage or bath or any other creams and ointments and could get irritated. So, today I am going to share all necessary information about skin and skin care in a very simplistic way, so that all of us can understand and follow the routine easily.
SKIN: Before jumping the information about dry skin, lets understand a basic concept about our skin. Skin comprises of three layers
Epidermis (outer layer): Provides skin from drying as it plays a role of waterproof barrier.
Dermis (middle layer): Contains connective tissue, hair follicle and glands that are responsible for sweating.
Hypodermis (inner layer): Contains connective tissue, fat & collagen.
EFFECT OF COLD WEATHER ON SKIN: Climate and weather usually effects our skin immensely. When the weather is cold, the humidity level in the air drops and this leads to skin dryness. If this dryness gets worst, it might cause eczema.
SYMPTOMS OF DRYNESS:
- Avoid frequent baths, just once a week should be enough.
- Make sure your child is wearing soft comfortable clothing.
- Wash the clothes in non-bio baby detergent.
- Cut the nails frequently to avoid scratching and bleeding.
- Keep mittens on your baby’s hands to avoid scratching.
- Use fragrance free baby bath, lotion, ointment or any skin care product.
- Use diapers especially made for sensitive skin and wash your baby’s nappy area with fresh water or fragrance-free wipes, as skin dryness may lead to diaper rash.
- Use room humidifier to avoid dryness in the air.
- If dryness is worst, then your child might need the moisturize or ointment massage 4-5 times a day. If you do it with every nappy change, then it will make your job easier and you can manage the nappy and skin care at the same time.
HOW TO BATH: Bath once a week and use fragrance free baby bath, simple liquid paraffin bath or oat bath. In Luke warm water add your baby bath and then let your baby sit in it for a good enough time like about 5-8 minutes. In this way moisture of water, fragrance-free bath or paraffin bath absorbs in the skin. After finishing bath, pat dry with a towel very very gently and put fragrance free skin lotion or moisturizer that suits to your baby’s skin. Massage for about 2-3 minutes and then put your baby’s clothes on.
WHEN TO SEE A DOCTOR: If your child’s skin dryness gets worst and flaky, you might need some special skin product for your baby’s skin prescribed by a doctor. Dryness might lead to eczema as well, so if your think fragrance free products the care you are giving to your child is not benefiting your child then a doctor’s advice is a must.
I hope all wonderful mums find this article really beneficial in healing your baby’s dry skin and also in making your job of taking care of baby’s skin much easier. Please share what you do for your little baby’s skincare, so that we all can get ideas from each other :).